The Voice of the State's Supermarket Industry
Who We Are
Michigan Grocers Association is the voice of the state’s supermarket and grocery industry at the State Capitol in Lansing. Recognized as the leading advocate for eat-at-home food businesses in Michigan, our organization includes hundreds of retail locations from Detroit to DeTour, Niles to Newberry, and Grand Rapids to Grand Marais.
Our diverse Retail Membership is made up conventional supermarkets and grocery stores, supercenters, gourmet stores, limited assortment stores, convenience stores, drug and pet food stores.
MGA’s Associate Membership includes manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors, sales agents, equipment companies, and professional service providers of all types.
The Association supports all of its members with the knowledge, solutions and connections to influence policy-making, ensure compliance, and promote the Michigan food industry’s continued success. It is its members’ go-to resource for all things business and government. We mean it when we say, Call Us First.
About Our Members
- MGA speaks for over 200 food companies including retailers that operate more than 600 stores. Together retail and associate MGA members provide jobs for more than 93,000 Michigan residents. That’s in excess of 2% of the state’s payroll jobs!
- Our industry in Michigan generates more than $18 billion in annual sales, with an average net profit of 1.3%.
- More than two-thirds of all Michigan supermarkets (stores with annual sales greater than $2 million) are MGA members.
- National and regional chains are members; so are neighborhood grocers; 95% of MGA member companies are successful, independent, family-owned businesses.
- MGA members are VIP job providers offering entry-level opportunities, full-time career positions, and everything in between.
- MGA members provide new market opportunities for Michigan farmers and producers. MGA members drive the sale of our state’s products by promoting Michigan commodities. Michigan’s agri-food industry adds $100 billion to the state’s economy each year, making it our second-largest industry.
- MGA members help Michigan residents live healthy. Over half of MGA members have established health and wellness programs for customers and employees. Programs include community health events, product sampling, healthy recipes, store tours, cooking demonstrations, health screenings, and more.
- Michigan Grocers Association is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit, tax-exempt trade organization established in 1898 to educate and advocate on behalf of its member companies. It was incorporated in the State of Michigan in 1917 and its tax-exempt status was recognized by the IRS in 1942.
- In 1983 the Association formed a wholly owned for-profit subsidiary, the Michigan Grocers Service Corporation to provide programs and services that were not directly related to its tax-exempt purposes.
- Michigan Grocers Foundation was formed in 1997 as an independent 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization to raise funds for and to establish an endowment in support of the Paul M. Felice Memorial Scholarship Program.